La Camilla has been welcoming overnight guests since 2003
in four comfortable and spacious apartments, each with
its own kitchen. The apartments open onto the courtyard
of the farm. With access to the rear gardens and pool,
there is ample room for both play and relaxation. A play
area for children with slide, swing and sandbox. “La
Camillina,” hidden in a corner of the garden, is
a brick playhouse that has been welcoming children since
the early 1900s.
Guests at La Camilla prepare their own meals including
breakfast in fully equipped kitchens. When booking, guests
may request that some basic groceries be purchased in
advance. The two nearby towns, Frugarolo and Spinetta
Marengo, have well supplied shops and are easily reached
even by bicycle.
La Camilla has 90 acres of land where corn, wheat, and
sugar beets are grown. Approximately 200 Friesian dairy
cows are also bred and raised here every season. Pheasants,
partridges, and rabbits can be seen in the surrounding
fields.The layout of the buildings is typical of the region,
surrounded by walls and inside of which are the owner’s
residence, verdant gardens, a chapel, an orchard and beehives,
a swimming pool, the stalls and barns. The lodgings of
the farm workers and the farm holiday apartments surround
the main interior courtyard.
La Camilla is a farm on the Marengo plain, located close
to the site of the Napoleanic-Austrian Battle of Marengo.
Remains of a roman road—the Via Emilia—and
2nd and 3rd century A.D. tombs have been discovered on
the grounds, which might have been part of a Roman farm
and encampment on the edges of Gallia Cisalpina and Liguria.
The property was integrated into the holdings of the Dominican
Fathers of Bosco Marengo, then incorporated into the territory
of the Kingdom of Piemonte. In 1868 the farm was bought
by the Scavia family, who have been livng and working
here ever since.